Peter Markano
Rodriguez Blog
When personally relating to Rodriguez, I found it extremely difficult to find certain levels where I can recount instances that pertain to me. I think Rodriguez was closed minded and spoiled, and didn’t appreciate his parent's sacrifices for him. If I was to pick a favorite quotation it would be the following, "the scholarship boy must move between environments, his home and the classroom, which are at cultural extremes, opposed" (Rodriguez 3). This quotation accurately describes a scholarship boy, someone who has parental neglect when it comes to scholastic effort, but somehow succeeds academically. I think that Rodriguez exaggerates, however, when he calls the home and classroom cultural extremes, because with me there was an integration of my parents and my school. My general response to Rodriguez is that he needs to sack up a little bit and get over himself; I am not a big fan of his. I disagree with Rodriguez, and I don’t like his position on education. In no way can I relate to Rodriguez, and I believe that if I had foreign parents I wouldn’t consider them stupid or try to hurt them. I don’t think that Rodriguez takes into account the sacrifices his parents made for him especially financially. I think that some people are just not grateful, and think they are underprivileged for no reason. I cant relate, and I will in no way attempt to try because I feel as though we are opposites.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You aren't alone in your opinion about Rodriguez. I too like this quotation: "the scholarship boy must move between environments, his home and the classroom, which are at cultural extremes, opposed" When I was in Big Bros/Big Sis, my little sisters' family (I had two little sisters) did not respect education at all. The father could not read or write. The oldest daughter wanted to drop out when she was 12. The younger daughter, however, had this drive to succeed, which I think was hard on her. They had no toothbrushes, soap, etc. and neither parent had many teeth. The older daughter was proud that her teeth were like her parents', but the other daughter kept a hair brush, tooth paste, and a tooth brush at school. I don't know what happened to these girls. The cultural differences between their lives and those at school were definitely opposite.
ReplyDelete