Thursday, October 8, 2009

Blog #4 Favorite Band or Song

Blog #4: Favorite Band or song

When the question is asked of me, "What is your favorite band or song" into my head pops thousands of ideas. I have a list of band whose discography I know like the back of my hand, such as The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Slightly Stoopid, Tea Leaf Green, and a really cool electronic artist innovator by the name of Pretty Lights. I feel that all of these bands inspire me depending on my mood; there is a time and a place for all of these bands. There are, however, few songs that I can truly listen to at any point and time in my life where it will be appropriate.
This band for me is Perpetual Groove, a jam band based out of Athens, Georgia and one song in particular if I hear it has the ability to soothe my mind and open up my soul. The name of this song hints at its ability, "Sweet Oblivious Antidote" it’s a beautiful yet inspiring name with the ability to calm one down. Its truly amazing how much power this song has on me I love it. I first discovered this song when I was a sophomore in high school, it’s a song that I would say binds my friends and I together on one common cause of feeling good. There are only 8 lines of lyrics to "Sweet Oblivious Antidote", but its obvious that the instrumentals speak more than the words do. The guitar, base, and drum combination for me is like listening to angels give a speech (if that makes any sense). I truly do love this song.
The basis of this song in my mind is relaxation and feeling good over any feeling of melancholy. This song reminds me of my home on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, a beautiful place I have so much more appreciation for after being away from home for almost two months. Its amazing how much a song can remind you of you friends, your hometown, your roots, and everything that defines you. I listen to this song every time a yearn to be back on the shore out on a boat with my friends just cruising around wasting the summer away, without a care in the world. The beauty and landscape of the shore pops into my head every time I listen to this song as well. There is a much deeper meaning to "Sweet Oblivious Antidote" than most would think, because it truly is my sweet oblivious antidote whenever I am in need of an antidote to cleanse my soul and refresh what gives me solace and makes me feel good. This song basically defines who I am in a way…….The lyrics to the song are as follows:

I said let it ride then
Burn up so bright that no one can see
Maybe just hide then
A good place could be right in front of me
Cause I'm busy searching
Searchin' for what...I'm not really sure
Maybe an answer
Maybe some sweet oblivious cure

1 comment:

  1. I can relate: "Its amazing how much a song can remind you of you friends, your hometown, your roots, and everything that defines you." Sometimes these memories keep me from listening to music at all. Sounds like you'll be happy to get home during Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete